The month of March conjures up images of Saint Patrick’s Day parades and Mardi Gras. While many of us will recognize these events in some fashion, it is also Women’s History Month - started in 1981. Since America’s founding, women have played an integral part in American innovation and productivity, while simultaneously providing leadership in their local communities. I wanted to take this opportunity to recognize several of PMI-Metrolina’s women leaders. These women inspire and motivate members and volunteers to engage, learn and reach for success. They are both mentors and role models within our chapter. I want to encourage all of you to emulate their leadership example by being a mentor and a role model to our children, students, and fellow professionals.
- Candie Almengor – Director of Mentorship Program
- Jennifer Baker – Past President & Region Mentor
- Chris Behling – Director of Central Communities
- Leslie Dancy – Director of Marketing
- Wonderland Dawson – Co-Director of Professional Development Day
- Rhonda Evans – Director of East/West Communities
- Maria Haney – Director of Metro Communities
- Darlene Kinney – Vice President of Programs
- Amber May – Director of Membership Services
- Julie Tettmar – Vice President of Membership
- Sharon Walters – Co-Director of Professional Development Day
"When we invest in women and girls, we invest in the people who invest in everyone else."
- Melinda Gates
If you are looking to mentor an individual, the chapter’s Military Liaison program assists individuals with their personal and professional development goals both while serving our country and as they transition back to civilian life. On April 06, we will host a free event in Fayetteville for transitioning military personnel that will include speakers, resume review and information about available project management resources. Breakfast and lunch are included.
John A. Rush IV, MBA, PMP, PMI-PBA
The Asheville Community were very fortunate to have the co-owners of French Broad Chocolate, Jael and Dan Rattigan, personally share insights into their business model and philosophy that has helped drive their tremendous success. Our lucky attendees also got to taste their one-of-a-kind chocolates and see the final step in the chocolate making process for themselves.
The Uptown Chapter shared another exciting topic for the February meeting . Our featured speaker, Jim Perkins, reminded us that "Project Managers are Cyber Security Practitioners, Too".
Jim's presentation provided us with great relevant information that we can utilize in both our professional and personal environments such as:
- Historical breaches and factors that played into their occurrence
- Awareness of prevention tools
- Strong vs. weak passwords and things to consider
- The use of phrases as passwords
- Incorporating your Security team into your projects
If you are interested in volunteering with the Finance Team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Marketing Team, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Sponsorship Volunteer- Assist the Marketing Team in identifying and recruiting sponsors for Chapter events including Monthly Meetings, Workshops, and Annual Conference (PDD), as well as other activities as needed.
- Marketing Email Coordinator - Send Email reminders for meetings and events.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Volunteer Onboarding and Membership Retention Specialist - Assist the membership chair in managing VRMS postings and onboarding and retention of volunteers.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Oversight Committee Project Manager - Provide oversight, review, and quality assurance for high level reporting structures from project initiation to lessons learned.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Ballantyne Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Fayetteville Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- West Lake Norman Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Programs Administrator - Act as administrative support for the programs group supporting the overall success of our community programs.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Military Liaison - PMI Metrolina liaison to local military groups and installations.
- Chamber of Commerce Liaison – This role partners with the local Charlotte Chamber of Commerce to both develop and strengthen business relationships amongst other Chamber members. The goal of course is seen in making Metrolina a “go to” resource or advocate for Project management professionalism, training, and development acumen within the region.
- PMIEF Liaison - Promotes awareness of PMIEF and provides increased value for Chapter Members. In addition, the Chapter PMIEF Liaison will provide information to PMI Metrolina members for the purpose of understanding and benefiting from PMIEF programming.
March Skillfest…. First One For 2019!
This is a great event to meet with recruiters, build your network, purchase a new professional headshot and learn some new job search tips. This event is FREE to PMI Metrolina Members and is also open to guests.
Here is how it works:
- Registers via PMI Metrolina - March 2019 SkillFest
- Send your resume and member designation (member/guest) to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resumes are due Thursday, March 21st at Noon EST to be sent for review (consider doing an automated review of your resume at rezscore.com before submitting it)
- Local and national recruiters will review resumes
Join us for an evening of complimentary heavy appetizers and cash bar, explore employment opportunities, learn how to enhance your presentation and meet companies who are actively hiring. This is a relaxed setting; you do not need to bring copies of your resume if you have met the deadline above.
You can come at any time during the evening, but the agenda is as follows:
- 5:15 Doors Open
- 5:30-6:00 Job Search Tips (e.g. Personal Branding, Resumes, LinkedIn, etc.)
- 6:00-8:00 Meet Recruiters and Networking
Soul Art Photography will be onsite to provide professional headshots for $25.00 for our membership. If you have questions, please contact Rich Sauser at email@example.com
Third Annual Veteran’s Transition & Skillfest Event
Fellow Veteran's please join us for the PMI Metrolina Third Annual Veteran’s Transition & SkillFest Event FREE FOR VETERANs
- Interested in learning more about Project Management?
- Looking to network with hiring companies & non-profits?
- Are you a veteran or soon to be transitioning out?
Date/Time: April 06, 2019 from 0900 to 1500 hours
Location: Spring Lake, NC 28390
Meals Provided: breakfast & lunch
Keynote speaker: LTC (R) Jay Hicks, "The Transitioning Military Project Manager " series
Motivational Speaker: Morgon Latimore
For additional info contact: MilitaryLiaisonDirector@PMI-Metrolina.com
Amy Heddleson, firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are a veteran and have not self-identified in your PMI account, we encourage you to do so. When you do, you’ll be part of veteran’s email communications that come out to help you know what is going on in the veteran’s community, special opportunities for veterans, and what our Metrolina PMI Chapter is doing to assist veterans in getting connected with and supporting the PM community!
If you are active duty or retired military and interested in supporting this program, reach out to the militaryliaisondirector@
Asheville Community Meeting
March 19, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Project Management for the Public Sector
Location: WCU - Biltmore Park Campus
Ballantyne Community Meeting
March 5, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Location: Bank of America - Sherrill Building
Cabarrus County Community Meeting
March 21, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Teamwork and Communication
Location: Captain Steve's Family Seafood Restaurant
Fayetteville Community Meetings
March 12, 2019 (5:30 PM to 7:00 PM)
Book Club - 9 Habit's of Project Managers
Location: Logan's Steakhouse
Huntersville Community Meeting
March 25, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Project Management in the I-77 Toll Lane Project
Location: Primal Brewery
Jacksonville Community Meeting
See you soon!
Mooresville Community Meeting
March 7, 2019 (6:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
Basic Business Agility
Location: Brooklyn Boys Pizza
University Community Meeting
March 14, 2019 (6:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
Ethics and You
Location: Parry's Pizzeria & Bar
Uptown Charlotte Community Meeting
March 19, 2019 (5:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
Location: Noah's Event Venue
West Lake Norman Community Meeting
February 20, 2019 (5:30 PM Networking; Meeting 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Article Club: How to Get Hired in an Age of AI
Note: Sign-up for all 5 Article Club Meetings in 2019 and get a prize!
Location: The Foundry
Wilmington Community Meeting
March 16, 2019
Community Chapter Meeting
Location: New Hanover County Public Library - NE Branch
Below you will find links to upcoming PDU and educational opportunities that are offered by our partners. Many of these partners offer discounts to PMI Metrolina Chapter members and participants. Please visit the Educational Opportunities page on the chapter website for discount codes and offers that might apply to the courses listed below.
Catawba Valley Community College:
To register for any courses, visit www.cvcc.edu or call 828.327.7000 ext. 4294
Coastal Carolina Community College:
To register for any courses, visit www.coastalcarolina.edu or call 910.938.6294.
Central Piedmont Community College:
- Leading the Way In Stakeholder Management - In Person – March 7
- Information Session- In Person – March 7
- Creating Functional Specifications - In Person – March 11
- Information Session - In Person – March 18
- Determining Business Requirements - In Person – March 19
- Project Planning and Control - In Person – March 20
- SAFe Advanced Scrum Master v4.6 w/Cert - In Person - March 2-3
- Certified Scrum Master Training - In Person - March 4-5
- Certified Advanced Scrum Master Training - In Person - March 4-5
- Certified Scrum Product Owner Training (CSPO) - In Person - March 6-7
Use Promo Code "PMI-VIP" for a 40% discount!
Lean Agile Training:
- Certified ScrumMaster Course + Workshop - In Person - March 26-28
- Agile Release Planning - In Person - March 28
Northeastern University Charlotte
- Master of Science in Project Management - Hybrid and Online
Project Management Training:
- PMP Boot Camp - Online - March 4-7 OR 18-21 OR 25-28
- PMP Boot Camp - In Person - March 11-14
- CAPM Training Course - Online - March 11-13
- PMI-ACP Training - Online - April 8-10
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification - Online, 7-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Lean Six Sigma Orange Belt Certification - Online, 7-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification - Online, 35-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Requirements Analysis and Design Definition - In Person - March 14-15
- Leadership and Communication Skills for Project Managers - In Person - March 21-22
- Implementing Process Change - In Person - March 28-29
Wake Forest University:
- Certificate in Project Management - In Person
Western Carolina University:
- Masters of Project Management - Online
PMP-ACP Prep Course
You're ready to take the next step in your career by becoming an Agile Professional. You've put in your hours and earned your experience on the job. But are you ready for the rigor of the PMP-ACP exam? Join the next PMP-ACP Agile Prep Course beginning February 2nd!
Project Management Point-Of-View (PM-POV)
The PMI Washington DC chapter has started a podcast called Project Management Point-Of-View containing 12-13 minute interviews with various executives and thought leaders about their "point-of-view" on a wide range of project management topics.
Each podcast is worth .25 PDUs (Category A) and can be found in one of the following ways:
- Project Management Point-Of-View
- Download it at iTunes by searching under PMIWDC (and subscribe)
Want to be certified?
Virtual PMP Offering
We are currently exploring offering our PMP class virtually to those located too far from Charlotte to participate locally. If you would be interested in taking the class using this option, please contact email@example.com.
Chapter Mentoring Program
Here's your opportunity!!
Become a Mentor for the Metrolina Chapter Mentorship Program and you will have the unique experience to:
- Recieve PDUs
- Participate in the development of your mentee's career
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Share lessons learned
- Be a part of an exciting team
- Build your network
You don't need all the time in the world or all the answers . . . . just the will to lend a helping hand!
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
The mentoring program for PMI-Metrolina provides an expert opinion concerning projects for working professionals, provides guidance for getting involved with PMI or PMI-Metrolina, and offers advice concerning marketable skills for project management domains. The mentor/mentee relationship will be a three to six month engagement requiring between ten and twenty hours per month from both volunteers. The engagement will be a one-to-one match and will follow specific guidelines to completion to meet the needs of the mentee.
|Ashton Addison||Debra Labanowski|
|Joseph Arcella||Tara Lazenby|
|Ebenezer Asmah||Eric Leach, PMP|
|Debbie Barefoot, PMP||Sharnetta Leathers|
|Michael Barth||Brittany Loman, CAPM|
|Stacy Beilke||Richard May, PMP|
|Avril Benson, PMP||Kelly Mejia|
|Angela Bloomfield, CAPM||Candice Middlebrook, PMP|
|Henry Bolen, PMP||Robert Moe|
|Jeffrey Brooks||Mariana Morini, PMP|
|Anthony Bryant||Valerie Mulcare, CAPM|
|Tisha Campbell||Matthew Murray, PMP|
|Kimberly Clanton, PMP||Leslie Ovalle-Portal|
|Jessica Coelho||James Powell, PMP|
|William Connell||Brandi Reilly|
|Andrew Corn||Karen Rogosky|
|Daren Daye||Zachary Rueschhoff, PMP|
|Wanda Donaldson Manning||Jessica Salter|
|Junotia Douglas||Jason Specht, PMP|
|Peter Evans||Richard Stevens, PMP|
|Donna Ferguson||Tevin Tipps|
|Brett Gillies||Vickie Traynum, PMP|
|Kelsey Gouldhtorpe||Melanie Tremaglio|
|Timothy Hajj||Richard Twigg, PMP|
|Thomas Herbert, PMP||Alvaro Valls|
|Erinn Hogan||Gail Welch Blue|
|Robin Jenkins||Kristen Wood, PMP|
|Sri Anjani Chittajallu, PMI-ACP||Richard Rex, PMP|
|April Eaton, PMP||Zachary Rueschhoff, PMP|
|Danny Martin, Jr., CAPM||Kenneth Ruge, PMP|
|Candice Middlebrook, PMP||George Simon, PMP|
|Matthew Murray, PMP||Barbara Terry, PMP|
|David Pike, PMP||Brenda Weinstein, PMP|