As many of us return from the Christmas, Kwanzaa, Hanukkah and New Year’s Day holidays, it is for many a time of reflection where we make resolutions to do things better and/or differently in the year ahead. I would like to take the opportunity to do just that. As we look forward to the upcoming year and beyond, many challenges and opportunities lie ahead of us individually and collectively.
“When planning for a year, plant corn. When planning for a decade, plant trees. When planning for life, train and educate people.” – Chinese Proverb
This chapter and many other organizations have opportunities abound to learn and better yourself. Besides the monthly meetings that occur across the state, our chapter and global organization offers certification prep classes, webinars, lunch and learn meetings and a myriad of other opportunities. We have launched our mobile application to make it easier for you to interact with us in addition to expanding our social media footprint. We have also looked at ways to help those of you who are looking for the next position for your career and are taking steps to improve those offerings. In addition to our Skillfest and Saturday PDU events, there will be a 3rdannual veteran focused event in March. Please let us know if there is another way that you feel we can help you grow in your project management career.
“Stay true to yourself, yet always be open to learn. Work hard, and never give up on your dreams, even when nobody else believes they can come true but you. These are not clichés but real tools you need no matter what you do in life to stay focused on your path.” Musician Phillip Sweet
Quoting an old African-American proverb… “Each one teach one.” Part of our success has been celebrating and learning from our differences, then forming those lessons learned into a best practice within our daily lives. We have shared our knowledge with others and have learned for ourselves in both giving and receiving. This is the framework for our future. I would encourage each person to learn and to teach what you have learned. Let us take the opportunity to better our profession, our communities and ourselves.
We look forward to interacting with you in many ways to take this chapter to new heights.
John A. Rush IV, MBA, PMP, PMI-PBA
If you are interested in volunteering with the Finance Team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Marketing Team, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Sponsorship Chair - Assist the Marketing Team in identifying and recruiting sponsors for Chapter events including Monthly Meetings, Workshops, and Annual Conference (PDD), as well as other activities as needed.
- Marketing Email Coordinator - Send Email reminders for meetings and events.
- Marketing Director - Assist the VP of Marketing to create and maintain marketing and public relations campaigns.
- Social Media Chairperson - Promote the society and create a sense of community through social media.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Membership Outreach - The position conducts outreach activities to existing members, prospects, and lapsed members via phone and email.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Mentorship Program Co-Chair - Responsible for the chapter mentoring program, vetting mentorship participants, and overall program improvement.
- PMP Chair - Assists in the execution of technical and logisitical support of Metrolina's training program.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Ballentyne Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Fayetteville Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Hickory Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Jacksonville Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- West Lake Norman Community Chair - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Military Liaison - PMI Metrolina liaison to local military groups and installations.
Third Annual Veteran’s Transition & Skillfest Event
by Rick Sabedra, PMP
PMI Metrolina Military Liaison Director
The Veteran Transition & Skillfest events hosted over the past two years were well attended by all branches of the military, active, guard/reserve, veteran and retired. In fact, we are bringing the Military Skillfest back again on April 06, 2019 for veterans interested in learning more about project management or about PMI. Attendees will leave with ammo to further their transition into project management along with gaining a significant number of new networking opportunities. As in the past, we will feature a complimentary continental breakfast and lunch for attendees.
Guest speaker Jay Hicks, veteran and author of "The Transitioning Military Project Manager" book series will be returning. His books help to translate the military experiences into the project management lingo, a valuable resource during transition. Given the tremendous support and favorable responses of our last event, this year’s venue will be held in conjunction with American Legion Post 230 and VFW Post 4542.
Location: Town of Spring Lake, NC – Recreation Center
245 Ruth Street, Spring Lake, NC
Date: April 06, 2019
Time: 0900 to 1500 hours
On-line registration is expected to be available approx. Jan 15th, 2019 using the following link: https://pmi-metrolina.com/MilitaryOutreach
All attendees must pre-register for the 2019 Veteran’s Transition & Skillfest Event using the above link. If you have questions, please reach out to PMI Metrolina Military Liaison Director Rick Sabedra at Militaryliaisondirector@pmi-metrolina.com. We hope to see you this coming April!
If you are a veteran and have not self-identified in your PMI account, we encourage you to do so. When you do, you’ll be part of veteran’s email communications that come out to help you know what is going on in the veteran’s community, special opportunities for veterans, and what our Metrolina PMI Chapter is doing to assist veterans in getting connected with and supporting the PM community!
If you are active duty or retired military and interested in supporting this program, reach out to the militaryliaisondirector@
Asheville Community Meeting
Happy New Year!
Ballantyne Community Meeting
January 8, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Location: Fox & the Hound
Cabarrus County Community Meeting
January 17, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Code of Ethics
Location: Captain Steve's Family Seafood Restaurant
Fayetteville Community Meetings
January 15, 2019 (5:30 PM to 7:00 PM)
Projects, Programs, and Portfolios - An Overview
Location: Logan's Roadhouse
Hickory Community Meeting
Happy New Year!
Huntersville Community Meeting
January 28, 2019 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
New Year - New Skills
Location: Primal Brewery
Jacksonville Community Meeting
Happy New Year!
Mooresville Community Meeting
Happy New Year!
University Community Meeting
January 10, 2019 (6:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
Changing Your Professional Narrative
Location: Fox & the Hound Northlake
Uptown Charlotte Community Meeting
January 15, 2019 (5:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
Fearless Communication Mastery
Location: Noah's Event Venue
West Lake Norman Community Meeting
Happy New Year!
Wilmington Community Meeting
Happy New Year!
Below you will find links to upcoming PDU and educational opportunities that are offered by our partners. Many of these partners offer discounts to PMI Metrolina Chapter members and participants. Please visit the Educational Opportunities page on the chapter website for discount codes and offers that might apply to the courses listed below.
Catawba Valley Community College:
To register for any courses, visit www.cvcc.edu or call 828.327.7000 ext. 4294
Coastal Carolina Community College:
To register for any courses, visit www.coastalcarolina.edu or call 910.938.6294.
Central Piedmont Community College:
- Information Session - January 8
- Project Planning and Control - January 14
- Leading the Way In Stakeholder Management - January 16
- Determining Business Requirements - January 23
- Using Microsoft Project for Effective Project Management - January 24
- Information Session - January 24
- PMI-PMP Exam Prep - January 29
- Stay tuned for upcoming training events
Lean Agile Training:
- Certified ScrumMaster Course + Workshop - January 9-11, Charlotte, NC
- Agile Release Planning - January 11
- Certified ScrumMaster Course + Workshop - January 29-31, Charlotte, NC
- Agile Release Planning - January 31
Northeastern University Charlotte
- Master of Science in Project Management - Hybrid and Online
Project Management Training:
- PMP Boot Camp - In Person - January 7-10
- CAPM Training Course - Online - January 14-16
- PMI-ACP Training - Online - February 25-27
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification - Online, 7-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Lean Six Sigma Orange Belt Certification - Online, 7-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification - Online, 35-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Business Process Management and the Balanced Scorecard - 24 & 25 January
- Developing Agile Requirements - 31 January & 1 February
Wake Forest University:
- Certificate in Project Management - In Person
Western Carolina University:
- Masters of Project Management - Online
PMP-ACP Prep Course
You're ready to take the next step in your career by becoming an Agile Professional. You've put in your hours and earned your experience on the job. But are you ready for the rigor of the PMP-ACP exam? Join the next PMP-ACP Agile Prep Course beginning on Feb 2th!
You may not be ready to take the CAPM or the PMP® exam yet, but after the PMI Metrolina Chapter’s – 5 week CAPM - PMP®Exam Prep Course, YOU WILL BE! Join the next CAPM/PMP Prep Course beginning on January 26th!
Project Management Point-Of-View (PM-POV)
The PMI Washington DC chapter has started a podcast called Project Management Point-Of-View containing 12-13 minute interviews with various executives and thought leaders about their "point-of-view" on a wide range of project management topics.
Each podcast is worth .25 PDUs (Category A) and can be found in one of the following ways:
- Project Management Point-Of-View
- Download it at iTunes by searching under PMIWDC (and subscribe)
Want to be certified?
Virtual PMP Offering
We are currently exploring offering our PMP class virtually to those located too far from Charlotte to participate locally. If you would be interested in taking the class using this option, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chapter Mentoring Program
Here's your opportunity!!
Become a Mentor for the Metrolina Chapter Mentorship Program and you will have the unique experience to:
- Recieve PDUs
- Participate in the development of your mentee's career
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Share lessons learned
- Be a part of an exciting team
- Build your network
You don't need all the time in the world or all the answers . . . . just the will to lend a helping hand!
If you are interested, please email email@example.com
The mentoring program for PMI-Metrolina provides an expert opinion concerning projects for working professionals, provides guidance for getting involved with PMI or PMI-Metrolina, and offers advice concerning marketable skills for project management domains. The mentor/mentee relationship will be a three to six month engagement requiring between ten and twenty hours per month from both volunteers. The engagement will be a one-to-one match and will follow specific guidelines to completion to meet the needs of the mentee.
|Vanessa Barszczowski||Nicholas Knight|
|Luke Boulio||Sampath Kumar, PMP|
|Stephanie Briggs||Fred Marsh|
|Avis Brown||Jamie Mcgee|
|Frank Campagnano||Jean Monde, PMP|
|Kelly Canestrare||Katie Munichman|
|David Cohen||Frances Noblitt, PMP|
|Ryan Davis||Gunjan Patel|
|Lindsay Delgrosso, PMP||Swarnalekha Prabagar|
|Robert Dills||Sandra Preston, PMP|
|Miriam Doerfer||Divya Radhakrishnan|
|Judson Dyar||W. Morgan Spencer|
|Sarah Elliott, PMP||Veda Stanley|
|Ryan Fillingim||Lauren Stewart|
|Roseann Forbes||Phillip Stone, PMP|
|Charity Frederick||Walter Thomas|
|David French, PMP||Venkata Vedam|
|Mark Freund, PMP||Justin Wetzel|
|Natisha Griffin, PMP||Taneak Williams, PMP|
|Kanchan Achar, PMI-PBA||Justin Hull, PMP|
|Antoyia Bailey, PMP||Carter Jones, Sr., PMI-ACP|
|Joseph Bonansinga, PMP||Michael Macry, PMP|
|James Cicali, PMI-ACP||Kristine Obrien, PMP|
|Randy Coffman, PMP||Olanike Odili, CAPM|
|Natisha Griffin, PMP||Michael Page, PMP|
|William Hardy, Jr., PMI-ACP||Lauren Satterfield, PMP|
|Joashulynn Harvey, PMP||Patrick Turner, CAPM|