Summer is officially here!
This has been a busy year already for most of us and likely a busy summer too… This month kicks off the end of school and start of summer vacations. Several communities have a lighter schedule over the summer due to being in areas of high tourism and travel. However, no matter where you are, please take advantage of the opportunities that are local to you whether in the form of a community meeting, community service, or professional development. If you are not seeing something that interests you, please let us know so we can fix that. If we are doing things that you like, please let us know so we keep that. We are getting ready to send out a Chapter survey about the chapter activities and how they work for you. Please let us know how we are doing by completing the survey.
“Feedback is a gift. Ideas are the currency of our next success. Let people see you value both feedback and ideas.” – Jim Trinka and Les Wallace
This is also the beginning of election season for us here at PMI Metrolina and in the state. If you would like to volunteer for any activity, now is a good time. Even if you don’t want an elected office, there will be several positions available and new positions created as individuals move into new roles. Not only are you able to give back to the profession, volunteers receive free PDUs and additional discounts to our events. Please let us know if you have an interest and we can help you find a volunteer role that meets your needs and requirements.
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.” – Margaret Mead
John A. Rush IV, MBA, PMP, PMI-PBA
Volunteer of the Month - Jeff Budde
Jeff Budde is a teammate on the PDU Processing Team under Membership and has been a member since 2016. Jeff is a graduate of Rutgers University – New Brunswick and a Project Manager for MSS Solutions, LLC. Processing PDUs are an important part of the membership value Metrolina Chapter offers. Many chapters do not offer this service to their members. Jeff is being recognized for his leadership processing the PDUs for our members as he recently took on additional processing responsibilities by adding the Uptown Meeting to his assignment. Thanks Jeff for what you do to serve the membership of our chapter!
Members can join the Uptown Community next month at the Peculiar Rabbit.
To apply for any of the open volunteer positions, please visit PMI VRMS
There are currently no open volunteer positions within finance. If you are still interested in volunteering with the Finance Team, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
If you are interested in volunteering with the Marketing Team, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Marketing Email Coordinator - Send email reminders and communications for events and meetings.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Membership Outreach - The position conducts outreach activities to existing members, prospects, and lapsed members via phone and email.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Oversight Committee Project Manager - The position will provide mentorship program oversight, review, critique, and quality assurance critiques for high level reporting structures from project initiation to lessons learned.
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Programs Chair for Fayetteville Community - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Programs Chair for Hickory Community - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Programs Chair for West Lake Norman Community - act as liaison between the community, members and chapter and have primary responsibility for the operation of the assigned community.
- Programs Director East/West/Central/Metro - act as liaison between chapter and community and assist Programs Chairs in the operation of their assigned communities
If you are interested in volunteering, please contact email@example.com for more information.
- Army Liaison Fayetteville Community - responsible for promoting membership benefits of PMI and the chapter to the local members of the military installation or organization.
required to take the PMP exam.
As a bonus, every student will receive a copy of the PMBOK® 6th edition and UNLIMITED lifetime access to PMP Master Prep’s online PMP Exam Prep Study System. The study system includes a 1400+ question exam simulator, custom study resources, 25 case study videos, and a digital copy of the newly released PMP Master Prep Manual.
- Unlimited access to Exam Simulator
- PLUS custom online study resources
- PMP Master Prep Manual
- Aligned to 6th edition
- Most innovative PMP prep book
- Organized like a Project!
- 25 real life case studies
- Focus on WHY, not just on HOW
- Simple clear language to help you learn
- 175 most critical points distilled
- Custom method to get every EVM question correct
- Full 200 question PMP practice exam
- Exam Simulator
- 1400+ questions
- Tests by Knowledge Area, Process Group, AND Full Exam
- Detailed feedback on every answer
- Study Resources
- One touch access to PMBOK® details
- 25 case study videos
- Custom EVM calculator and formula explainer tool
Details will be coming on how to take advantage of this exciting offer!
Here's your opportunity!!
Become a Mentor for the Metrolina Chapter Mentorship Program and you will have the unique experience to:
- Recieve PDUs
- Participate in the development of your mentee's career
- Develop Leadership Skills
- Share lessons learned
- Be a part of an exciting team
- Build your network
You don't need all the time in the world or all the answers . . . . just the will to lend a helping hand!
If you are interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Research Participants Needed
Are you a Virtual Project Manager? Have you led a successful virtual project?
If you answered yes to both questions, please consider taking some time to participate in an interview about your virtual project leadership. The information collected from this interview will be used in completion of a doctoral dissertation for a PhD in Project Management. Sharing your experiences enhances the research and knowledge on how leadership impacts virtual project success. Your contributions to this research is much appreciated. Please help a fellow PMI Metrolina member by clicking on or copy/paste the URL below to complete a short 2 minute survey to provide your contact information:Virtual Leadership Survey --Thank you!
If you are a veteran and have not self-identified in your PMI account, we encourage you to do so. When you do, you’ll be part of veteran’s email communications that come out to help you know what is going on in the veteran’s community, special opportunities for veterans, and what our Metrolina PMI Chapter is doing to assist veterans in getting connected with and supporting the PM community!
If you are active duty or retired military and interested in supporting this program, reach out to the militaryliaisondirector@
Asheville Community Meeting
June 18, 2018 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
PMBOK 6th Edition - What's New?
Location: Woodfin YMCA
Ballantyne Community Meeting
June 5, 2018 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Location: Bank of America - Sherrill Building
Cabarrus County Community Meeting
June 21, 2018 (5:30 PM to 7:00 PM)
What works best for you when managing your project, stakeholders, and sponsor
Location: Captain Steve's Family Seafood Restaurant
Fayetteville Community Meetings
No June Meeting - Enjoy Summer Break!!!
Hickory Community Meeting
No June Meeting - Enjoy Summer Break!!!
Huntersville Community Meeting
June 25, 2018 (6:00 PM to 7:00 PM)
Location: D9 Brewing
Jacksonville Community Meeting
June 5, 2018 (6:15 PM to 7:15 PM)
Mooresville Community Meeting
No June Meeting - Enjoy Summer Break!!!
University Community Meeting
June 7, 2018 (6:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
Location: Fox & The Hound - Center Lake
Uptown Charlotte Community Meeting
June 19, 2018 (5:30 PM to 7:30 PM)
The Ernest Hemingway You Never Knew
Location: Peculiar Rabbit
West Lake Norman Community Meeting
June 13, 2018 (5:30 PM to 7:00 PM)
Location: The Foundry
Wilmington Community Meeting
June 16, 2018 (11:00 AM to 12:00 PM)
Location: New Hanover Library
Below you will find links to upcoming PDU and educational opportunities that are offered by our partners. Many of these partners offer discounts to PMI Metrolina Chapter members and participants. Please visit the Educational Opportunities page on the chapter website for discount codes and offers that might apply to the courses listed below.
Catawba Valley Community College:
To register for any courses, visit www.cvcc.edu or call 828.327.7000 ext. 4294
Coastal Carolina Community College:
To register for any courses, visit www.coastalcarolina.edu or call 910.938.6294.
Central Piedmont Community College:
- Leading the Way In Stakeholder Management - In Person - June 1
- Using Microsoft Project for Effective Project Management - In Person - June 4
- Information Session - In Person – June 6
- ScrumMaster - In Person – June 11
- Determining Business Requirements - In Person – June 20
- Project Planning and Control - In Person – June 20
- Information Session - In Person – June 25
- PMI-PMP Exam Prep - In Person – June 26
Promo Code: pmi-vip ($300 discount)
Date: June 2nd and 3rd
Time: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Promo Code: pmi-vip ($300 discount)
Date: June 23rd and 24th
Time: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Lean Agile Training:
- Certified ScrumMaster Course + Workshop - In Person, Charlotte - June 5-7
- Agile Release Planning Workshop - In Person, Charlotte - June 7
Northeastern University Charlotte:
- Master of Science in Project Management - Hybrid and Online
Project Management Training:
- PMP Boot Camp - Online - June 4-7 or 18-21 or 25-28
- CAPM Training Course - Online - July 16-18
- PMI-ACP Training - Online - June 25-27
- Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt Certification - Online, 7-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Lean Six Sigma Orange Belt Certification - Online, 7-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification - Online, 35-hour course, Available Anytime!!
- Project Risk Management: June 13 and 14
- Principles of Project Management: June 28 and 29
Wake Forest University:
- Certificate in Project Management - In Person
Western Carolina University:
- Masters of Project Management - Online
Project Management Point-Of-View (PM-POV)
The PMI Washington DC chapter has started a podcast called Project Management Point-Of-View containing 12-13 minute interviews with various executives and thought leaders about their "point-of-view" on a wide range of project management topics.
Each podcast is worth .25 PDUs (Category A) and can be found in one of the following ways:
- Project Management Point-Of-View
- Download it at iTunes by searching under PMIWDC (and subscribe)
Want to be certified?
Virtual PMP Offering
We are currently exploring offering our PMP class virtually to those located too far from Charlotte to participate locally. If you would be interested in taking the class using this option, please contact email@example.com.
Chapter Mentoring Program
The mentoring program for PMI-Metrolina will provide an expert opinion concerning projects for working professionals, provide guidance for getting involved with PMI or PMI-Metrolina, and offer advice concerning marketable skills for project management domains. The mentor/mentee relationship will be a three to six month engagement requiring between ten and twenty hours per month from both volunteers. The engagement will be a one-to-one match and will follow specific guidelines to completion to meet the needs of the mentee.
One of the ways you can make a difference in the field of project management is through mentoring. Studies have shown that mentoring others with less experience not only improves their academic/work performance but also contributes to their overall well-being, and the well-being of the community. Members who receive mentoring are less likely to give up, quit their job, avoid pursuing a credential, and lose professional focus. Please let us know if you would like to mentor someone and make a difference in your community today by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org!
|Janet Alexander||Mahesh Ingale, PMP|
|Kristen Alexander||Philomin Paul Josephraj, PMP|
|Kurt Andreassen, PMP||Ajay Joshi, PMP|
|Nicole Austin||Priya Kanagaraj|
|Lee Barnes||Michael Knecht|
|Dillon Beatty||Michaela Lamarchesino|
|Shawn Benton, PMP||Karen Lewis|
|Matt Bleakley, PMP||Brian Malella|
|Madhusudan Bodducherla||Geo Marques Neto|
|Sharon Bourgeois||Rita Mauro, PMP|
|Jamal Brown||Shatell Mccormick|
|John Buscomb, PMP||Joycelyn Medina|
|Heather Bush||Kurt Merdick|
|Aquilla Chambers||Wilmo Merino, PMP|
|Gordon Connell||Abbas Mokhtar-Zadeh, PMP|
|Jennifer Cornette||Roger Moore|
|Delmond Cummings||Vicie Moran, PMP|
|Adam Davino, PMP||Jaykumar Mundhara, PMP|
|Dana Davis||Rajesh Navarajan Unni, PMI-ACP|
|Ellisent Davis, PMP||Jocelyn Nolley|
|David Day, PMP||Eleazer Oben, PMP|
|Susan Deckert, PMP||April Obin, PMP|
|Jd Densmore||Ankit Oza|
|Bhavna Dhillon||Sarah Reed, PMP|
|Charles Duke||Fabio Rincon|
|Daniel Dumont||Brandon Schmidt|
|Detra Euland||Teresa Schwab, CAPM|
|Jennifer Eversole||Amaris Serracin Babstock|
|Laura Franklin||Michelle Seymour, PMP|
|Dylan Gamboa||Rajesh Singh|
|Anjan Ghosh, PMP||Andrienne Spann|
|Catherine Halter, PMP||Theresa Steighner, PMP|
|Harrison Hill, PMP||Ralph Walton|
|Justin Hillberry||Karen Ward, PMP|
|Kristina Huntsberger, PMP||Jacqueline Woodson|
|Pamela Almeida, PMI-ACP||Brent Mcpherson, PMP|
|James Gay, PMP||Rajesh Navarajan Unni, PMI-ACP|
|Philomin Paul Josephraj, PMP||Michael Nichols, CAPM|
|Leela Venkatasatish Kolla, PMI-ACP||Frank Rubio, PMI-PBA|
|Michael Llora, PMP||Karen Ward, PMP|